Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Komunikacyjne w Poznaniu Sp. z o.o. is a carrier which provides transport services in accordance with the instructions of the public transport organiser – Municipal Transport Authority in Poznań.
The only official information channels of MPK Poznań are: website www.mpk.poznan.pl, Facebook profile: MPK Poznań Sp. z o. o., myMPK application, YouTube channel: MPK Poznań and a profile on Instagram: @mpkpoznan_official.
The Company is not responsible for the content published on other websites, profiles, blogs, etc. In terms of information, MPK Poznań cooperates on an ongoing basis with Poznań City Hall, city companies and entities, such as Zarząd Transportu Miejskiego, Zarząd Dróg Miejskich, MTP Group or Poznańskie Inwestycje Miejskie.
Our company’s tasks include:
- fleet management (dispatching trams and buses to transport lines in accordance with the order placed by the ZTM organiser, daily supervision of the fluidity of the public transport movement, elimination of the consequences of transport incidents, staff training, vehicle rental),
- maintenance of track and network infrastructure (current repairs),
- maintenance of tram stops,
- running the “Maltanka” narrow-gauge park railway and operating tourist lines in the summer season,
- running a Vehicle Inspection Station.
MPK and ZTM
The public transport organiser manages public transport in Poznań and the agglomeration and contracts carriers to carry out transport on specific lines.
ZTM decides on:
- the routes of all lines operating within the ZTM network
- the type of rolling stock with which individual routes are operated (e.g. whether short or articulated buses run on a given line)
- the frequency of vehicles
- diversions routes in the event of planned renovations
- ticket tariffs
- availability of tickets (distribution at ZTM ticket sales points, in shops, at ticket machines, on mobile phones, etc.).
- ticket control
- maintaining bus stops, terminals and stations
- determining the location of new bus stops
The MPK operator carries out transport services commissioned by ZTM.
The MPK tasks further include:
- activating trams and buses in accordance with the order placed by ZTM
- maintaining the smooth running of MPK vehicles through emergency and technical services as well as Traffic Supervision employees
- arranging temporary diversions for tram and bus lines in the event of breakdowns and launching substitute transport services
- maintaining (current repairs and maintenance) tracks and overhead lines
- maintaining tram stops and displaying information (timetables, line numbers) at all stops
- lease of advertising space on trams and buses
- organisation and operation of the Maltanka Park Railway and tourist lines during the summer season
* Of course, the above are not all the competences, and we have selected those that passengers ask about most frequently.
In order to provide passengers with comfort and the opportunity to travel by public transport, we invest in the rolling stock, both by purchasing modern vehicles and by profound modernisation of the models we already own. In recent years, MPK Poznań’s bus and tram fleet has been enriched by several hundred low-floor, air-conditioned vehicles.
We employ nearly 2,500 people. Most of them are motormen and drivers. With the safety of travellers in mind, we hold regular training courses for operating staff and technical and emergency services. Thanks to cooperation with other municipal units, we can gain new experience and work more efficiently in regular urban traffic.
Our employees compete in internal as well as national and even global competitions, winning awards and distinctions.
There are also associations and formations at MPK Poznań Sp. z o.o., working for the benefit of other residents and contributing to the cultural and sporting panorama of Poznań.
When purchasing new rolling stock or making new investments, we keep environmental issues in mind. The buses meet the cleanest Euro and EEV exhaust gas standards. In order to reduce noise, we renovate and repair the track infrastructure and surround our facilities with acoustic screens. A closed water circuit is used in the car washes. We also implement a waste management programme.
MPK Poznań Sp. z o. o. is a member of UITP, the International Union of Public Transport, which is a worldwide organisation that provides a platform for cooperation and exchange of experience in the public transport sector and undertakes activities for sustainable development. In addition, the members of the Company’s Board of Directors have been active in the structures of the Chamber of Commerce of Urban Transport for many years.
Our company has been the winner of various plebiscites and competitions, placing in leading positions in the country.
Communication support for major events
We were involved in providing communication services for the biggest events, not only in the country, but also worldwide. We mobilised the maximum number of employees during UEFA Euro 2012 in Poznań or the COP 14 Climate Change Conference in 2008, transporting several hundred thousand people.
We also proved ourselves in the efficient transport of passengers during the opening of the city stadium, Nelly Furtado’s concert, the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity or the Malta Theatre Festivals.
MPK Poznan Sp. z o.o. is located on the map of Poznan in several depots:
- Głogowska depot – tram depot, Traffic Supervision Headquarters
- Forteczna depot – tram depot, Vocational Training Centre, stop brigades
- Franowo depot – tram depot, track department, network department, technical infrastructure department
- Warszawska depot – bus depot, commercial fleet
- Kacza depot – bus depot, Vehicle Inspection Station